Re: Re: A dearth of HB's for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 18, 2003 at 08:01:39:

In Reply to: Re: A dearth of HB's for sale posted by Lee Stofer on August 18, 2003 at 07:34:54:

I think the problem is the Non-Tubists reading the journal. You know, the trombone and trumpet players falling for the "Cadillac of Tubas" bit and thinking their tubist may be on subpar equipment because he/she is only playing a Meinl-Weston or a Rudy Meinl or some other brand not as well proliferated in the "Journal".

I still refer back to Joe S's test of the 14k versus other 4/4 tubas and how wel the 14k fared. I haved played a few HB's and didn't like them (my own opinion) and I have played a MW2000 that was excellent and one that was so-so, but for me they seemed a little easier to resonate, but they are much lighter horns. Plus the pitch doesn't seem as funky as the 4/4 HB piston horns.

I think the equipment freak syndrome is contagious and has spread from the trumpet players down through the 'bones and into the tuba players.

I wish tubas were like Carvin Basses: Decent enough to get by for most professional applications, inexpensive to own, and the ability to customize at the factory. With enough variety at hand we could all afford to be different. I'm sure that personal comfort on tuba is just as important as electric bass. :')

Follow Ups: