Re: Multi-track Recording

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on August 18, 2003 at 11:18:27:

In Reply to: Multi-track Recording posted by dave on August 17, 2003 at 12:41:26:

I can't answer your question, but I'll tell you what I just bought Saturday and how I like it.

I got the Rode stero mike, with a BlueTube mike preamp, and a Tascam CD writer. I dropped about $1000 to buy all this. In the research phase, I told the salesman (I gave up reading about it, you can read forever and still not know what you want to do) that I was going to do mostly live classical recordings, everywhere from my living room to concert halls, and that I was unhappy with my previous set up (MD plus AT822 stereo mike) because the sound quality was somehow "dead."

He said I needed a preamp for the mike, and said I should buy this Blue Tube thing to get what I was missing.

The two end point options were to go into a mixing board with a hard drive, or directly to the CD writer. Without the mixing board, I'd have to use my ears for EQ, finding the best place to put the mike and taking what I got.

Well, I decided to do the direct-to-CD writer option, because I can always add a mixing board later without having to throw out anything I already bought.

You know what? The quality of sound I got recording in my living room yesterday, has me dancing on the ceiling. It is WAY WAY above what I was getting with the previous setup. I think the mike is a lot better than the AT822, plus the tuba preamp is adding something indefinable. It has two channels, with a "drive" and "gain" knob for each channel. Since I use a tube amp (Fender) for my electric violin...I kind of had a clue what to do with the box.

Anyhow, I hosted a mini concert yesterday at my house, with a full range of performers: violin, keyboard, horn, harp, recorder, tuba. Every single one of them recorded extremely well, with the only problems being the keyboard player pounded so hard on the pedals that it affected the mike, and the wind screen not being enough to protect the mike from the air conditioning air flow. Both of those are fixable, and a lot of what I recorded is just outstanding, near pro-CD quality. Pretty darn good for a kilobuck's worth of equipment. The tuba sounds like a tuba, the horn sounds like a horn...and both of these are really hard to record well.

MA

Follow Ups: