Re: PT 15

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JF on August 18, 2003 at 17:39:12:

In Reply to: PT 15 posted by IA Tubist on August 18, 2003 at 16:53:00:

No tricks. Just lots of good honest quality time. Most all of us that play these horns have had these growing pains. Be aware of what's really going on with your air. Not really a trick but time buzzing on the mouthpiece can have magical results fixing this problem. If you can create a good focused buzz on that low C then playing it on the F tuba will be a breeze. Be sure to listen to your horn and search out a sound that is most characteristic for it within your concept of sound. Often times I think people try to make these horns sound like a different(bigger/tubbier/rounder?) instrument below the staff. Keep the sound consistent. Listening to other great F tubists can also be very enlightening. In my opinion that low C rocks on the PT-15 but it does take time to find it. Once you've got it it'll be yours forever so don't be afraid to put in time up front. The payoff is huge in the end. Try playing stuff you would normally do on a bigger horn: The Ride, Fountains, Rochut down two octaves, Snedecor and anything else you can get your hands on. Also, having an appropriate mouthpiece can help bring the most out of this horn. If you have any questions please feel free to drop me an email.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: