Re: Re: Re: Re: PT 15

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 20, 2003 at 23:36:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: PT 15 posted by js on August 20, 2003 at 20:19:26:

You draw some good parallels. Just like those Mark VI's, some of the old Conn Naked Lady saxes and Buescher saxes are popular, too, but not as popular as those old Mark VI's. Even within the Mark VI's, the mid 60's axes seem to be very popular with the later models not commanding the same value.

I owned and sold a newer model and turned a very nice profit, not as good as if it were an older model as distinguised by ferrules and engraving. But.......

I think the most interesting part of this recent tear you have been on is that those older saxophones and tubas both had very unique feels and timbres to them. I played an OLD B&S F (4th valve was 2-3) and the low register had no problems, at all! I have played some of the more recent "Wunder-F's" and a lot of them sound alike. Most of 'em feel a bit dead too. The F I have liked the most in recent history was a Cerveny F (very small) and a very good MW 45 (B&S copy). These horns have a low register that takes a bit of getting used to, but I don't think one needs to crank out low C's on F tuba at 120dB.

Here is another parallel for ya Joe......

Mr. Laskey and another guy on the west coast who name escapes me tight now do Bach trumpet conversions to make them play and feel more like Mt. Vernon and New York Bachs (The Magic American Trumpets). What is one of the main things they always do? Put on a SMALLER leadpipe. Then the clean up tolerances and some other minor stuff. Trumpet players pay these guys about $500 for this right after they order their Bach with the Herseth leadpipe (super big). It isn't an isolated problem at all.

Matt G

Follow Ups: