Re: TheTuba Bibles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 24, 2003 at 21:20:44:

In Reply to: TheTuba Bibles posted by Josh Krenzien on August 22, 2003 at 01:53:30:

Aside from Arban, I swear by the Clarke Setting Up Drills, Characteristic Studies, and the Max Schlossburg Warm-Ups (long tones) book. I play from the cornet books on tuba, euphonium and cornet, depending on what I'm going to be doing next. Tuba players ought to learn to read cornet and trombone clefs anyway. I have the Kopprasch, Vasiliev, and Blasevich books, but keep going back to good old Arban and Clarke. The Bell-Arban book (Colin publ) came out about a year before Bell passed away. I'm sure he used the trombone method most of the time.

My private students are expected to have Arban, Clarke and Schlossburg methods. My mentors Don Butterfield, Joe Tarto, Jimmie Burke and Pee Wee Erwin used pretty much the same stuff, with the other books and methods added in as needed.

I agree with the post about the Bach 'cello suites. You can learn a lot about phrasing playing out of "fake books", too. Good music is where you find it.

Follow Ups: