Re: tone qulity problems from BBb toCC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Palmer on August 26, 2003 at 21:21:52:

In Reply to: tone qulity problems from BBb toCC posted by Lan on August 26, 2003 at 17:03:59:

There is a difference. In general, good BBb's have a broader sound, more resonant sound. CC is more focused. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. You may need to just give the CC some quality time. It may help to record yourself. I'm a 641 player myself. I also have a 45SLP, but I like playing my BBb. I like the sound of my BBb, my quintet like the sound of my BBb, I used it in my last recital for the Penn (3 Sketches). I've also used CC in orchestra for Mahler 2 because "AsKew made me :-)" but I use the BBb when subbing in local orchestras. I've play CC in quintet and often use my F, but the group seems to prefer the BBb...blah, blah, blah...Starting on F was a big deal for me primarily because I missed the broadness of my BBb. I was actually quite frustrated at first, but I knew I just had to give it some time. So be patient and give yourself some time a get accustomed to playing in a new key. I do believe the slight difference in fundamentals between BBb and CC attributes to a bit of uncertainty in the
initial approach to the horn. It just feels different. And of course you know to not to expect the CC to be magic on your face, you still gotta practice!!
One more thing----
If you think you maybe working with young (middle school) kids, keep the BBb if you can. 2 reasons: reading treble clef euphonium and sometimes it just easier to say "watch my fingers." By the way, I can read treble clef euph. on my F and I also take the F with me when I want to make sure they're NOT watching my fingers.

Follow Ups: