Re: Mouthpiece for bach 36b

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on August 26, 2003 at 21:42:57:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece for bach 36b posted by Reid on August 26, 2003 at 16:58:48:

The Bach 36B is a medium bore tenor, and is a good horn that should produce a little brighter more focused sound than the large bore tenor trombone. If you really want a darker sound you might consider the advantages of a large bore tenor such as a Bach 42B or even a bass trombone.
As far as a mouthpiece for the 36B goes the rim size of the 51D is very good for trombone but the cup is deeper than what most trombone players will use even on a large bore tenor. If you don't like the 6 1/2 AL (an excellent mouthpiece for the 36B, and the rim is almost the same size as the 51D) you could try a Bach 5G with a small shank, or a Schilke 51 with a small shank. This will tend to give you some of the greater fullness of tone of the large bore tenor without being too deep.
I took the opposite route from you. Trombone first and added Euphonium second. When I first started playing Euphonium it always made my trombone sound very bright afterwards. This was more perception than anything else. After about a year of playing I had develped an inner concept of the tone of each instrument, and stopped trying to make each sound like each other. Likewise I feel that you should learn to hear and produce different quality sound for each. HTH

Follow Ups: