Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accuracy problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on August 29, 2003 at 00:01:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accuracy problems posted by Mary Ann on August 28, 2003 at 15:39:58:

An upstream embouchure is a low mouthpiece placement with more bottom lip than top. The bottom lip protrudes into the mouthpiece when playing. It's basically upside-down from a downstream embouchure. It's difficult to explain why someone might be upstream, but usually it is someone with a short upper lip and a long or tall lower jaw. Usually the resting jaw position looks like a normal overbite, but the jaw is protruded to play. There are some very prominent trumpet and trombonists who have this embouchure: Doc Severinson, Wynton Marsalis; Blair Bollinger, Rusty McKinney, and Dick Nash on trombone. I don't know of any horn players but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Basically, if your mouthpiece placement is mostly top lip you're downstream; if it's mostly bottom lip you're upstream; if it's half and half you're probably downstream if it works well, if you've got problems you're probably switching in different ranges.

Upstream and downstream embouchures have distinctly different problems. I'd have to write a book to explain it all. If you have specific questions about yourself, email or call me. I promise I won't try to sell you a mouthpiece.

doug(AT)dougelliottmouthpieces.com, or 301-871-3535

Follow Ups: