Re: Re: Re: Re: MTV has done it now...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on August 29, 2003 at 22:56:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: MTV has done it now... posted by Rick Denney on August 29, 2003 at 15:13:27:

wondering what makes the Beatles early stuff any better than some other pop music

It depends. Some is crap, certainly - I think even they'd admit it. But tunes like "A Hard Days' Night" and "She Loves You" have a certain freshness and vitality that belie their simplicity. When you put it in context with the drecky pop vocal stuff that was popular then (Pat Boone, etc.) it would be like drinking tap water all your life and then suddenly someone slipped you a shot of espresso.

Anyway, I don't know whether you were saying that to put in a good word for the Fab Four or because you don't think their early stuff is all that good (A common opinion, for sure). I tend to look at their early music as kind of a chrysalis housing what was to come - you can see the elements before they came together on Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Sorry - I am a fanatical Beatles fan. I hang my head in shame of my rambling. :)

Daryl

Follow Ups: