Re: Theinert Orchestral(TU41)comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on August 30, 2003 at 12:42:26:

In Reply to: Theinert Orchestral(TU41)comments posted by SHS Tubamaster on August 28, 2003 at 19:22:35:

I think that before you shell out the bucks on a mouthpiece that big, you should do yourself the favor of getting with Doug Elliott. I spent a little time with him at ITEC last year, and his insights into my playing style and physiology were uncanny. Yes, I play on a gigantic DE mouthpiece, but it's not simply because it's big. Doug watched me play, and noticed that I have a very wide jaw structure combined with a strong embouchure. He felt that I could handle a mouthpiece that size, and that it would improve my sound. And he was right. In addition to generally sounding better, the mouthpiece keeps me honest; I can't let myself slip into bad habits with it because it's not very forgiving if I'm not playing with a "correct" (for me) embouchure. The beauty is that when I switch to a smaller piece for lighter rep, the habits that I have learned on the big boy transfer to the smaller mpc., so I sound better on all of my mouthpieces than I did before I spent that 20-30 min. with Doug.

So try to get to where Doug is exhibiting and spend a little time with him. You might find that what works best FOR YOU isn't what you expect.

SD

Follow Ups: