Re: Is band "uncool"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Norm on August 30, 2003 at 21:44:29:

In Reply to: Is band "uncool"? posted by Geezer on August 30, 2003 at 20:07:05:

I have two children who went through the public school system in Oregon. In fact one just graduated from U of Oregon going onto school in Indiana wanting to be a band director.

In high school and middle school school they called themselves "band nerds". Usually that was said with affectionate pride. They formed the largest "gang" in the high school. Hanging out on the weekends (especially Friday nights) in the same clothes. They loved it. The school itself had about 1800 students, 450 of whom were in the music programs. Were they looked down on by other groups? sure. But, they worked hard and had fun. I would say band and other music programs are alive and well here.

On the other hand, band is just one of the choices children make in school. The "cool factor" plays a role in these choices. Both my girls have reflected back that if "cool" were their main criteria in school they wouldn't have had as much fun and most likely would have had more opportunity to engage in some more dangerous ways to pass their high school years.

I wish you and your children the best. I hope they are finding good things to motivate them as they make it through there school years. To me that is important!

Norm 'I apologize for the soapbox' Miller

Follow Ups: