Re: King 2341 Updates?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 31, 2003 at 01:18:13:

In Reply to: King 2341 Updates? posted by Keith C. on August 28, 2003 at 11:48:29:

I've had mine since June, and I've made it a point to play everything I do on it for the first six months I own it. It is one of the original four prototypes. So far, I can't a situation where it hasn't worked just great. Importantly for me, the people who hire me dig the sound I get with it; they love the fat, "on-time" "pop" this horn has. Mine has the Conn valve caps and buttons, which took some getting used to (they are really big), but I've decided I like them very much. The compact wrap of the horn is great for me because I work in pits where clearance is an issue, and also, the new bell is much easier to hear (at least for me) than the old horn ever was the taller configuration. I can't wait to play in the orchestra this fall; our first concert features A Night On Bald Mountain...

I've been a "Royalist" - playing Kings - since the 1960s. Younger readers may not appreciate this, but this horn would never have been offered under the old Seeburg regime - I know, we begged them to bring back this configuration and they refused. I am thankful that they have made this horn available; could have used one thirty years ago!

King has some labor union issues (the UAW struck the company for over three months over the medical plan, primarily) this spring. Now that those issues have been settled, perhaps the quality will return. I hope so; the price point for this horn is just right.

Follow Ups: