Dating a Piggy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on August 31, 2003 at 11:14:46:

I've traded for a nice lightweight older Piggy horn that I'm curious to get an approximate date of manufacture for. I'm including a pic harvested from Anthony Labelle's ad a few months back for comparison. It has the diamond - shaped crest engraving on the bell w/only "Cerveny" and the R in a circle(registered trademark?) and no other lettering. On the carriage bar is a 72xxx serial no. The paddles are short and curved. The receiver is a lot smaller than the current European variety as was used in many '60's German horns, so I'm thinking of that vintage. The leadpipe flairs quickly into a pretty fat diameter going around the bell(bigger than the pic here). The lacquer is about 50%, along w/several other issues including updated linkage, so it's been used a good bit. It's a very resonant, easy-playing horn and I just would like to know more about it. I've looked at the archives and it seems the serial no's aren't exactly definitive, but the engraving, etc. may shed some light. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Ike

Follow Ups: