Re: Info about St. Pete?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Pushman on December 05, 1998 at 13:48:23:

In Reply to: Info about St. Pete? posted by Jon Maples on December 05, 1998 at 09:11:05:

Jon,

I just picked up a St. Pete from www.tuba.com (die Tuba) this past Tuesday. A guy in my community band got me onto them as he got one from TE about a year ago. Before I bought it I did some quick investigations and for the price, nothing compares to the St. Pete. I did not play any other horns, other than my fellow bandsman's St Pete, and I didn't need to when I saw the prices from other manufactures for a similar horn. The sound is incredible. Before the St. Pete, I also played on an old POS horn. I can't believe how much my playing improved by just buying a new horn.

If you get it from die Tuba, get it quick. Frieder, who owns die Tuba, is running out of horns fast. He recently had a price increase, and now when you compare the horn from TE to die Tuba, the prices are a little better ($300-$500) than even after you account for shipping, duties, brokers, and bonds from die Tuba. If you order from die Tuba, be sure to get the German Machine upgrade to the valves. The links are much better than the one from TE. If you decide to upgrade the valves later, you will save an additional $700 than buying from TE. TE also told me that they will not have any horns until January. Also, consider buying the hard case from Frieder as it is about the same size as a gig bag, relativly inexpensive and very light.

The only problem I can find with the St Pete is the metal quality isn't really strong and the finish from Russia isn't really that good. But for the price and the sound, it's the perfect for hobbiests such as us.

If you want any more info, let me know.

Max

Follow Ups: