Re: Re: Re: Dark v. bright

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on December 11, 1998 at 08:46:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Dark v. bright posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on December 11, 1998 at 06:12:15:

These are the types of confusions one can run into when trying to describe one sense with another. Bright and dark is generally associated with the visual senses, while the topic itself is one of aural perception.

I agree with what Jay has said. He did try to be more subtle than I would have as to the actual inability of the "tone ring" to provide any real, positive results. The concept is just as he said, to reduce sympathetic vibrations.

From lessons and discussions with Jacobs students, and watching and listening to many hours of Mr. Jacobs giving lectures I gathered that his concept was to have a strong enough fundemental in ones sound to not get eaten by the bass trombone yet rich enough in all overtones in order to carry in a hall and have that rich bass-baritone vocal quality.

I would guess that if Jay and I were to hear a group of players, we would most likely agree on who sounded "darker" and who sounded "brighter".

These discussions of dark/bright are academic and shouldn't be the manner in which one develops personal sound concepts. That can only be done through listening, experimentation, practice, and experience.

sean

Follow Ups: