Re: Going from BBb to CC.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on December 11, 1998 at 14:39:18:

In Reply to: Going from BBb to CC. posted by Henry on December 11, 1998 at 09:33:31:

I recently switched to a piston tuba in CC and sold two BBflat rotary tubas in order to get it. Despite the fact that I had played only BBflat since 1970 I felt the following two reasons were sufficient enough to make the switch:
1) change of pace
2) force myself to the next level of playing ability
The first reason is inexplicable, but we have all been there. The second reason bears only brief comment, I switched horns to force myself to practice. I knew I'd hafta practice in order to cover parts on CC, since I had played BBflat only all my life. NOW, I did NOT switch to pistons for a specific reason, however I have noticed specific benefits. I find playing slurs FAR easier with pistons than rotors. The valves seem to require more attention, but I think this is a GOOD thing,being forced into a regular routine is good. Apart from all that, my new horn did seem to look pretty cool when it arrived, and I guess I sound pretty ok on it too.f.w.i.w. I do not find practicing "automatic"....sclaes drive me crazier than ever, but the plus side is I am getting more positive comments on my playing....ah well I guess that makes it ok....eh?
Regards to all,

Dale

Follow Ups: