Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grad Schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 01, 1999 at 12:19:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grad Schools posted by been there -- done that on January 01, 1999 at 05:47:18:

What hubris! If you don't find orchestral tuba playing interesting, then DON'T DO IT!!! There are plenty of fine musicians in symphony orchestras throughout the world who happen to play tuba. There are few enough tuba positions available that the last thing we need is a tuba player who doesn't appreciate the art of playing in an orchestra and goes around denigrating that art to prospective students. In fact, after reading your post, I don't believe you even understand orchestral tuba playing. Your moniker of "been there -- done that" is not substantiated by your statements, in my opinion. Besides, if you felt so convinced of your viewpoint why would you be reticent to identify yourself? Reading your post, it appears to me that you should take up the oboe. That way, you'll not inflict yourself upon the tuba community and you'll get to read treble clef! By the way, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you only practice tuba orchestra excerpts, you're going to be a pretty awful tuba player. And if you don't have the common sense to seek out other activities (teaching, recitals, personal hobbies) if your chosen career falls short of your expectations, my guess is that you're going to be a very unhappy person. I have yet to find any career that is the be all/end all of existence.

Just a quick observation: Upwards of 2000 people per night pay for the privilege to hear my colleagues and I perform. Some of them are paying upwards of $100 a ticket and they are there because they love our work and want to hear us. Most of them pay for season tickets, so strong is their commitment to, and love of, our orchestra. That I, and my colleagues, can move people's emotions to that degree gives me a great deal of satisfaction and pride in what I do. I guess this is my niche...

Jay Bertolet
Principal Tuba
Florida Philharmonic Orchestra

P.S.>I'm proud of my title!

Follow Ups: