Re: Used Tubas? Which E-flat or F-tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on December 06, 1999 at 16:32:26:

In Reply to: Used Tubas? Which E-flat or F-tuba? posted by Jake Willis on December 05, 1999 at 22:19:34:

The standard answer:(read: what you really ought to do if you want to be happy with your purchase for more than a week.) If I were you I would be patient and continue collecting money in the sock drawer. Your best bet for opinions is to spend time following discussions here and reading the archives. It would also be a good idea to visit a convention or tuba warehouse in order to play lots of Eb and F tubas; this is the only way you are going to know what you really like. I would keep an eye on this board and the auction sites for good deals.
The concrete answer you seem to be asking for: I've seen used PT-10 F tubas for as low as $4000. In my opinion that is probably as good as you are going to get in your price range in an F tuba. In terms of Eb horns I'm not as well versed but I suspect that you could get a good 3 valve York Monster Eb that you would be very happy with. In my very limited experience the York Eb has great false tones and a very versatile sound. Ithink it would also be much more readily 'playable' by someone that isn't willing to put a lot of extra time into becoming familiar with a new instrument.
just my thoughts.
cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: