Re: Purchasing tuba at Midwest Clinic.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on December 09, 1999 at 06:39:32:

In Reply to: Purchasing tuba at Midwest Clinic....... posted by Josh Norris on December 07, 1999 at 12:01:14:

Josh,
As a college senior in December 1978, I bought my first tuba at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago. Based on my experience (which was a good one), I have a couple of suggestions. I play-tested every horn in the place, to make sure I hadn't overlooked any option. As Chris Hite mentioned, distractions will abound, but you have a mission. I fairly quickly narrowed the field to three horns, then two. I was used to my school's HB-2 rotary CC, and Custom Music's demo HB-2 was one of the two favorites. But, as the day wore on, I increasingly realized that the Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC on display helped me do more things, and better than I could play on the Hirsbrunner, at a considerably lower price. Also, I must mention that I sought and received outstanding help throughout that important day. My instructor, Dr. F. Kent Campbell was there, and he introduced me to Dan Perantoni, who rendered valuable assistance, and Mr. Jacobs, who was so kind and encouraging.
Ask questions- it's a great place to learn something- and enjoy!
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: