Re: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Rubin on December 10, 1999 at 23:08:53:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know? posted by T on December 10, 1999 at 19:26:36:

Hi,

I play a St. Pete and love it. It really is better than many horns costing twice as much. I got mine from the Tuba Exchange because I really didn't trust dealing with overseas shipping. The only problem I've had is that the plating was wearing very quickly (VERY quickly) but it seems to be nickels reaction to me (something about my ph balance, i know several other people with St. Petes from TE and they have not had anything like this), even though this seemed to be my problem, the TE paid for me to have leather pads put on the horn by Larry Black (whom I highly recommend), I have not had any problems since. The valves are not the best rotors I've seen but they're not bad at all, they've never hindered me in any way.

The most important thing you can do is play a horn before you buy one, see if anyone near you has one and see if you can get a few minutes on it. If you can, go to TE and try as many horns as you can. Even if you decide to get the St. Pete from Die Tuba instead, you've gotten the chance to compare it with other horns (I tried ~20)

Good luck in your quest for a tuba! I'm very very happy with my St. Pete, and am in fact looking for a hard case for it (Anyone have any ideas on a good one, inexpensive?)

Phil Rubin
PRubin(AT)Bellsouth.net

Follow Ups: