Re: Miraphone 186-S Miraphone for $3k new?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 11, 1999 at 13:56:08:

In Reply to: Miraphone 186-S Miraphone for $3k new? posted by T on December 11, 1999 at 13:22:10:

Comparing those three tubas is like comparing apples, oranges, and bananas. I've played all three of these tubas in the last year and here are my opinions:

The Miraphone has a much lighter sound than the other instruments and plays better in tune than the St. Pete. The VMI is my personal favorite of the three, since it has a bigger sound and as good intonation as any of the instruments. The Miraphone that our school bought has really horrible intonation but I know Miraphones are generally better than the one we got. I didn't like the St. Pete at all because I felt it had a smallish sound and very dicey intonation. One of the problems, in my opinion, with the St. Pete. is that it is built like a small tuba but it has a very large bore. This makes it harder to center notes and also means the horn uses lots of air without producing a big sound. I'm also skeptical of the workmanship with the St. Pete. because I've heard numerous stories of bad solders, horrible valves, and a tragically flawed nickel plating process.

To summarize, if you are looking at just these three tubas, I would pick the VMI 103 hands down. It is the best quality tuba I've seen in this price range. Good luck!

Follow Ups: