Re: Mirafone v. VMI

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 11, 1999 at 23:16:21:

In Reply to: Mirafone v. VMI posted by Doug on December 09, 1999 at 23:20:48:

Hi Doug,
You can buy a JCB-582 Jupiter for only $1800? I'll take 10! There is a mailorder catalog showing one of those and discribing one, but in the bottom price line, it quotes a 3 valve convertable Jupiter. Check the model #'s. Heck, I was all set to order a few 582's at that price when I saw it was a misprint.
Anyway, at the real price of $2995 for a JCB-582 with a case, they are a great bargain IF IT MATCHES YOU! Not everyone of my customers picks that horn. 2nd valve is too flat, but that is a simple $50 modification to fix. Leadpipe is too tall for small kids. Eb's are sharp but just pull out the easily accessable first valve slide. Which by the way is a short slide that lets you push in for the C in the staff. But many love the sound, comfort, valve action, etc.
As for the comment about Jupiter being a YUGO, I can get parts for Jupiter products, often in stock. I can't say the same for every $3000 new tuba out there.
You are comparing Chevys and Fords. Take a test play and buy what works for you.
Matt

Follow Ups: