Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with BBb Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on December 13, 1999 at 11:25:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What's wrong with BBb Tubas? posted by Doug on December 12, 1999 at 23:35:48:

About 11 years ago while in college I was asked to play in a local community Orchestra since I was the principal at the college I was attending. We were to do Ravel's Pictures at an exhibition and also Carmena Barrana (please excusse the spelling). To make a long store short, I had just got out of the service and I had some serious lung power and the conductor was amazed at the volume of sound and tone quality, so he asked me back in subsequent seasons. I was playing on a Mirafone 186 4U BBb and I guess at the time a CC of the same modle looked the same because at one rehearsal the conductor said to me that " We have been looking for a really good Tuba player with a CC horn for a long time". I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was a BBb horn and that I had used an EEb on the Pictures Concert. My point is that it doesn't matter what the pitch of the horn is as long as you can get the sound you need with the rig you use. I think that a well designed and constructed horn is a great thing and the pitch of it should suit it's purpose. Why be exclusive with some many good options to choose from.

Follow Ups: