Re: Quick Check

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 13, 1999 at 22:39:23:

In Reply to: Quick Check posted by Chuck Jackson on December 13, 1999 at 09:54:49:

I remember a Christmas eve gig at a Cathedral in a bad part of town (Midnight Mass) right when "carjacking" had just become the "thing" - dudes bumping the backs and sides of cars on the Interstate, forcing them over, and taking money, valuables, and the vehicle - sometimes murdering the victims. It was the only time that I ever attended a Mass with a loaded pistol inside my tux coat. In addition, the lead trumpet player on that same job had a thing about letting air escape out the sides of his lips around his mouthpiece. The trombone player (who actually had one glass eye) "looked" at my with the "periferal vision" of that "eye" and gently blew air at my ear out the side of his mouth (making light of the lead trumpet player) during a very quiet prayer...hard to keep a straight face.

At another quintet Christmas thing, a "Moravian Love Feast" at a Disciples of Christ church, there was a Yule log full of lit candles on the half-wall which divided the choir loft from the alter area. Towards the end of the service, several of the candles had burned all the way down to the wood, and the cedar Yule log began to burn. Neither the preachers nor the choir members could jump into action, because of their loose-fitting sleeves on their robes. I was the closest member of the quintet (being the (_!_) in the back) to the Yule log, so in my tux and in front of the entire congregation (the quintet was seated in the alter area) I extinguished the Yule log with a cup of apple cider, which was one of hundreds that was sitting just outside the sanctuary door for the end of the service.

Follow Ups: