Re: Re: What's wrong with BBb Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan J. on December 13, 1999 at 23:07:31:

In Reply to: Re: What's wrong with BBb Tubas? posted by T on December 13, 1999 at 19:36:19:

Dear T
It isn't that hard to learn CC, But you will have some frustrating moments when you occasionally push a wrong finger just as you think "Hey! I've got it together--It's working!!". It isn't like learning to play all over again since the same finger patterns are employed. You are simply starting on a new note name. ( If you prefer head games, or want to imagine what it is like without buying a CC, just think trumpet FINGERINGS and bass clef note NAMES. C is open.) The best time to switch is if or when you find that great horn that happens to be CC. I came across one as a soph in High School. It was a 2 yr old M-186 5VCC, vs. the school's old M-186 4V BBb. I didn't know much about horns at the time, and had only switched to tuba the year before. The CC had a clearer sound and was less clumsy feeling than the BBb, so I really enjoyed practicing on it. I carried it home almost every day to practice on & my dad dropped me off in the AM. I would recommend switching WHOLE HOG. Make a clean break and don't look back. Immerse your self in the new horn and you will become comfortable with the finger change more quickly. Practice some music you already know and you will see how it works. If you find a nice horn, you will play on it a lot. The learning curve starts going up towards success real fast. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups: