Re: Tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve dedman on December 15, 1999 at 18:37:15:

In Reply to: Tonguing posted by Greg Fishel on December 15, 1999 at 11:17:47:

Along the same lines - after reading the aformentioned posts, I have tried to incorporate the suggestions given into my own playing. (I have the same issue with tongue placement - at the back of the teeth.) I like the attack it gives me, but I hate the way it affects my sound. I seem to close up more to get my tongue into the "correct" position. When I tongue my normal way, I dont seem to notice a "thu" or any thing like that, but I do notice that the attack does not speak instantly. Over the years I have learned to compensate for this tempo-wise, but if I'm doing something wrong or inefficiently, I'd like to fix it. I will soon be taking lessons from an actual tuba pro in the coming weeks, and he should be able to give me a good diagnosis. My most recent instructor was an absolutely outstanding teacher and I learned huge amounts about music and musicianship, but he's a trombone player and teaches tongue placement from that perspective. (Arching the tongue, etc.) If I find something that works, I'll let you know.

Follow Ups: