Re: Re: Tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nathan on December 16, 1999 at 13:23:35:

In Reply to: Re: Tonguing posted by Shadowfax on December 15, 1999 at 12:23:34:

Tonguing is blown way out proportion. Tonguing is an attack to start a note. Many times players get so caught up in how they should tongue that they forget one of the most important facets of playing, sound. After all, if you don't sound good people don't care how fast or slow or clean you can tongue. As a general rule of thumb, the tongue should move higher as you play higher and lower as you play lower. For me, C below they staff I tongue where my lips and teeth meet. As I play higher, my tongue moves up toward the gum line. On the other hand when I play lower, it moves down toward the lips. For example, if I am playing a G below the staff, then I would tongue that note totally on my lips and not on my teeth at all. One more thing about tonguing. It is an easy process, and it shouldn't be complicated. Try playing a fast passage at a slower tempo, witha legato tongue. Then speed it up and don't change your tongue, just add more air. You will find that not only does it sound cleaner but the notes have better pitch center. Tonguing is all about air, and not about how fast your actual tongue can move. If you have any more question please feel free to drop me an email. I have been working on this with my private instructor a good bit this semester at LSU (I study with Joe Skillen). Anyway I hope that this helps, and good luck. Remember, make it easy.....

Nathan

Follow Ups: