Re: Re: Re: Perantucci PT-1 Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark K. on December 18, 1999 at 00:21:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Perantucci PT-1 Tuba posted by steve dedman on December 18, 1999 at 00:03:56:

Steve,
You my friend, are absolutely correct. I am holding a very flashy B&S/VMI brochure in my hot little hands. There is something to be understood, though. Although Cadillacs are made by GM, they are still classier than a Chevrolet...what am I talking about? B&S tubas are made by Vogtlandische Musikinstrumentenfabrik (VMI) and are definitely the "Cadillacs" of the company. I currently own a silver B&S PT-1. Why did I make this decision? Well, I was reading in the T.U.B.A. about the International Tuba/Euphonium Conference held in Italy and hosted by my tuba god, Roger Bobo (he's the King-haha). Anyway, a competition was held which was sponsored by numerous tuba manufacturers. First prize was your pick of any tuba, most brands familiar to me were represented. The only tuba not on the list was Hirsbrunner, who was only offering a Euphoniumm, not a tuba. Anyway, the winner (I believe he was from France) after having his choice of ANYTHING picked a B&S PT-1. I figured if that wasn't an endorsement, nothing was. This guy was a rising star, but let me tell you, he was fantastic. I don't want to put down VMI's at all...the other tubist in my symphony has a 4-rotary BBb VMI and it's very nice. However, what I love about mine is the large bell 19 1/2". I'm sure other people here can explain why better than I, but it really seems to make a difference. Not to mention the butter smooth rotaries. I've spoken with Jeffrey Rideout at Custom Music in Michigan. I believe the silver PT-1 like mine new was $5995. One thing to remember though...Just like that Cadillac's gonna hold it's value over the Chevrolet, your B&S will always be worth more used than a VMI. I know I didn't get all specific and scientific about it like some others, but I hope my plain English experiences help...You won't go wrong with a PT-1, anyone that tells you different is jealous they do not own one....

Follow Ups: