Re: Horn Colors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 18, 1999 at 17:43:30:

In Reply to: Horn Colors posted by Tony Clements on December 17, 1999 at 19:56:20:

Hi Tony,
No, that hasn't happened to me. Colors and preferences change with time. Just think when Avacado bathroom fixtures were the rage. EEEYUCK! But all have perceptions and maybe you have the the same one as I do when it comes to horn finishes. I prefer rotor tubas in lacquer and piston tubas in silver. Just think about all that pretty, contrasting nickel silver trim on a rotor tuba and how it went to waste if you silver plated and covered it up. Much prettier to finish in clear lacquer. Of course if it is bright silver platee and has fancy engraving or ornament lines, it can be a subtle beauty. The old American tubas typically had all brass body, guards, ferrules, tubing, and braces. I'm speaking general tendencies of course. Now you can get piston tubas with nickel silver trim and they look neat in lacquer too. It is an eye candy thing. If your have been buying piston tubas lately, it is predctable you would choose siver. Maybe I should make a post about the true ACOUSTICAL differences of silver plate versus lacquer finish. Now that will stir up the hornet's nest!

Follow Ups: