Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 23, 1999 at 09:19:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!! posted by Dale on December 23, 1999 at 02:08:20:

Dale,
First, let me thank you for offering your insight. I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer your opinions, and I sincerely apologize if I sounded like I didn't. I think if anything our toes are getting sensitive! I may be wrong, but it sounded like mine got stepped on; if not, forgive me for thinking they were. But it sounded as though you were implying that I just wasn't willing to sacrifice. I bought MY first tuba in 979. It was a Mirafone 186CC, $1800 used, and I had never made more than $6.00 an hour at the time. I had to sell that horn a few years later to buy a car. I am 38 now, with no pro aspirations, and three children to feed. I WON'T ask THEM to sacrifice so I can have a better tuba. Now, I hope we understand one another enough better that we can discuss this without thinking ill of the one another.

Imagine for a moment you were buying a computer (my profession). You say "how about the WHizBang 800?" I, knowing that the motherboard doesn't take full advantage of the processor's speed, say "It's made like cr*p". You, looking at your bank balance, knowing it is one of the few computers you can dream of owning, will:
a) shrug your shoulders and say "okay, I'll just do without"
b) buy it and hope it works out for you, without any idea what problems you might encounter, or
c) ask "what does that mean, made like cr*p".

That is the situation most of us amateurs find ourselves in. The choice isn't 'god or better', it's 'something or nothing'. We just want to get the least lousy something we can!

Follow Ups: