Re: Re: Re: Mirafone 1816v F-tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on January 02, 2000 at 16:14:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mirafone 1816v F-tuba posted by Doug on January 01, 2000 at 22:11:53:

Sean is correct.
I have heard some amazing tubists who performed pieces with extreme ranges on BBflat tuba. It depends mainly on the condition and training of your embouchure and your ear. The appropriate mouthpiece will help to augment what your embouchure and ear can already do. Do no expect that changing to a smaller or diffently keyed tuba will automatically expand your range. Good embouchure and ear training are the keys to good range and tone on any brass instrument.
I performed the V. Williams on BBflat tuba when I was in college only because that was the only tuba that I had at the time. Today, however, my F tuba suites my needs better for performing that piece. I believe (IMO) for most people who play an Eflat or Ftuba, it would be easier for them to perform literature like the V. Williams on their smaller Eflats or F's instead of on there BBflat or CC tuba. The sound will be different, but most of the Eflat's and F's tend to make articulation clearer. Playing characteristics vary between all tubas, so this is just a generalization.
The best performance I have heard of the V. Williams was by the late John Fletcher of the
famed Philip Jones Brass Ensemble and London Symphony Orchestra. I believe he performed it on a Besson Eflat tuba. What a great musician and person he was. The tuba world suffered a great loss when he passed away.
I hope this helps some.

Sincerely,

Ken

Follow Ups: