Re: Re: Re: note problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2000 at 10:22:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: note problems posted by Erik on December 05, 2000 at 00:34:38:

I tried it last night, and that led to me rethinking the whole intonation setup on my York, which I'm still figuring out. It all started several weeks ago when I went back to the mouthpiece that early on I liked about the least on this horn, a Conn Helleberg. Funny how we gravitate back to the old standards after months of experimentation.

What I found was that the G on my horn is pretty well in tune, and a little flat on the second valve. But, like you, the second-valve note centered much better and sounded better. So, either I have a wrong sense of pitch on that note (I don't trust those equal-temperament tuners too terribly much--there's just too much they don't tell you), or there's a resonance issue that makes that flat partial sound better. I set up the horn a little sharper overall, with some valves pulled a bit more to compensate most of the notes. But getting used to that fingering made a few accidents when I needed to land on the A above it.

Now, the horn is pretty well balanced, but it tends sharp in the upper register (above the staff). I seem to recall that meaning something about the mouthpiece, but I can't remember what.

Rick "still searching for perfection" Denney

Follow Ups: