Re: size vs. bore vs. key

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Guy in Virginia on December 05, 2000 at 12:00:49:

In Reply to: size vs. bore vs. key posted by greg on December 04, 2000 at 22:27:00:

The first is easy...

Length of tubing:

This controls the pitch of the horn only, and is the only required distinction between BBb and CC contrabass tubas, and Eb and F bass tubas.

The second not so easy...

Diameter of tubing:

This controls... nothing at all. In fact, I think its only real value is in controlling who can look down their noses at who else. There are small horns with big bore (Cerveny Piggy) and large horns with small bore (King 2341). But it gives boorish bores something to talk about.

And now, for the real villain in tuba codification...

Volume of instrument:

That is, if you fill it with water, how much does it hold? The lack of clear standards on this has plagued truthful description of tubas for years, possibly causing pain, destruction, misery, and death. The normal, standard contrabass tuba seems to hold about 2000 cubic inches. This instrument is called a 4/4 tuba. 5/4 horns usually describe European-style horns of larger volume, and 6/4 horns usually describe American-style horns of larger volume. There are many exceptions because of the unacceptable lack of any trustworthy standard. This must stop! For example, Rudy Meinl advertises a 6/4 German-style rotary tuba, and some 5/4 horns are as big as 6/4 horns. How can we continue with such inconsistency? Smaller horns are often called 3/4 horns, which may cause the owners of those horns irreparable harm to their fragile self-image.

The norm for each class (contrabass vs. bass) should be established by measuring, say, a standard Miraphone of that pitch. Everything bigger would be a 5/4 or 6/4, and everything smaller would be a 3/4. Thus, my Yamahaha 621 F would be a 4/4 F (yes, four full quarters!), but the 621 BBb would be a 3/4. There would be lots of 6/4 F tubas with my scheme, and some may not like that, but truth is impervious to hissing.

Recognizing the importance of providing useful standards, I have selflessly volunteered to perform detailed measurements of all currently available horns. Doing so would merely require manufacturers to send their horns to me, and I would carefully measure the volume. Very carefully. I figure it would only take about a year to make sure I had it right. I keep waiting, but obviously the manufacturers don't care about truth in advertising, being heartless international corporations with no conscience.

A Guy "This is serious, dammit!" in Virginia

Follow Ups: