Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chicago Symphony Trombone and Tuba S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on December 06, 2000 at 01:08:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chicago Symphony Trombone and Tuba S posted by Brian Frederiksen on December 04, 2000 at 10:21:16:

As a professional musician and as a record retailer, I am as wary of Naptster as Brian, but it seems to be one thing (and not a good thing) when college kids put their CDs, currently available hits, into the Naptster stream. It seems quite another if someone has put in a 30 year old record which has long since sold through its run, and can no longer be legitimately obtained, and for which the prospects of an official reissue are in doubt.
Also, what copyrights or royalty or other fees are compromised in the case of a volunteer project such as this was? I suspect that owners of this coveted recording have been sharing it for years. I bought five from Jay in 1971, and gave four away. And I'll admit I've made cassette copies for a very few close friends, long after it was no longer possible to obtain new copies from the source.

Furthermore, is it a fact or a rumor, that someone has put Trombones and Tuba on Naptser? I am skeptical. Naptser is a college kid and gen x phenominon. Who in that group even has a copy, let alone the means of putting it into the system? And even if someone did, we're talking transfering a record. That takes more than just knowing where the input and output cables go. Even if someone did, chances are the qaulity probably sucks. If someone transferred a copy, possibly one several generations removed, so much the more pitiful the results would be.

I say again, get an original in as good condition as possible to Ward Marsten and let him breathe new life into this weathered treasure, and I know I can sell a ton at my store, I'll bet Barry can sell another ton at his, and that's not to mention the ton you, (Brian, I'm talkin' a you) will do in venue and internet sales.

Follow Ups: