Re: Re: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sylvain on December 08, 2000 at 11:35:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861 posted by Jay Bertolet on December 07, 2000 at 20:33:09:

Thanks Jay, your comment made sense. As I said I've always been very happy with my 5/4 maybe because I understand it so well: F is sharp like hell if you let it be. I have a theory about these horns and tell me what you think about it. Since I've bought my horn (in '87) from Rudolf (and his son), I've tried many others. Every Bb model I've blown of every size have been more in tune and had more consistent tone through its range. Germany being the land of BBb and F tubas, my conclusion is that the demand for CC tubas from America pushed makers to make a "variation on a BBb tuba" and call it a CC. I would trade my 4/4 CC (1990) for the standard BBb 4/4 (4 valves) my friend Mike ("Tubaman" in Halifax) acquired in 1995. If there'd be a market for G tubas you'd probably see a bunch of cut up F tubas around too. I know it's not that simple but you could see my point. If I would not have pretentiously looked down on Bb horns in my 20's maybe the choice of horn then might have been a bit wider and clearer. Ah... let me know what you think.

Follow Ups: