Re: Larger mouthpiece....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 09, 2000 at 11:42:00:

In Reply to: Larger mouthpiece.... posted by Matt C. on December 09, 2000 at 00:49:20:

Matt,
What I've found with my various mouthpieces, is that the larger ones seem to make my sound less solid.... I have less control in the lower register, and less flexibility in the upper register. The only thing I've found my extra large mouthpieces useful for is "outdoor marching activities". What mouthpiece are you using now? What's the rimsize on it? Rim size on a mouthpiece can have just as much effect on your sound as the mouthpiece itself... same goes for the shape of the rim. I've found that a small cup mouthpiece, with a thin, sharp rim works best for me. Great for flexibility, and ease in the upper register. From what I've experienced, the wider rims can help your tone quality and control, and possibly that "grumbly" sound you described at high dynamic levels, but they also seem to get in the way of flexibility. There are several variables in mouthpieces that can affect the sound, and I haven't found a "perfect all around mouthpiece yet".... I guess the closest to that would be the ones with interchangable cups, shanks, and rims. Other than that, my only suggestion would be to try as many mouthpieces as you can, and find what works for you. I'm pretty sure most retailers will let you return a mouthpiece if you're not satisfied with it. Good luck!

-Anthony

Follow Ups: