Concerto Competition for High School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 09, 2000 at 11:42:14:

As I promised earlier this year, I received the flyer yesterday for a concerto competition this year that is expressly for high school students (grades 7 though 12). Here is the information:

The Blount Young Artists Concerto Competition

The competition is open to all musicians in the seventh through the twelfth grades residing in and attending school in the United States. Previous first place winners are not eligible. Students of strings, winds, brass, percussion, and piano are eligible to enter one category only. The winner must be available for rehearsals and publicity as required.

Acceptable literature for the competition includes any one movement from any work in the standard concerto repertoire. Works associated with the student repertoire may be selected if they are original works. Transcriptions or arrangements are not acceptable unless transcribed by the original composer. Memorization is preferred but not required. All works must have orchestral parts available. Special permission needed for complete concertos in a single movement.

Competition will be held on Saturday and Sunday, February 24 & 25 2001 at Huntingdon College in Montgomery Alabama.

Prizes
First Prize: Performance with the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra on April 30, 2001. Prize of $10,000 consisting of a cash award of $2500 and a scholarship of $7500
Second Prize: Cash award of $4000
Third Prize: Cash award of $1000
Fourth Prize: Cash award of $500
Merit Prizes (5): Cash awards of $250 for the remaining five finalists.

Representatives from Boston University and the Tanglewood Music Festival will be present at this year's competition. If you would like, your Blount audition can also serve as your Tanglewood entrance and scholarship audition for the 2001 Summer Season. Applications must be postmarked by January 15, 2001. For application information and further details contact:

The Blount Young Artists Concerto Competition Committee
c/o The Montgomery Symphony Orchestra
PO Box 1864
Montgomery, AL 36102

I have posted what looks like the major information from the application I received. There is other information about accompanists, etc., with the complete application. Complete details will come with the application. As far as I can tell, there is no website. Also, I'm not associated with this competition at all so direct any questions to the Montgomery Symphony Orchestra. Good luck!

Follow Ups: