Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 10, 2000 at 08:31:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F posted by Shon on December 09, 2000 at 22:52:37:

I agree with you, it is very difficult to be able to try a very large variety of mouthpieces in search of just the right one. This is why I've tried to develop some means to eliminate certain choices to narrow the search somewhat. Unfortunately, it is unwise to narrow the field too much because this defeats the original purpose. The mouthpiece trial policy Brasswind currently has is one option but that only gets you three mouthpieces at a time. That makes it very difficult to get potential candidates in your hands at the same time for the crucial A/B comparisons. Taking occasional trips to the major retailers is another option and a good one because you can also try new horns and keep current on what's happening in tuba design as well. Of course, playing on your horn with a new mouthpiece someplace in Indiana isn't going to tell you much about what you'll sound like where you actually work. And you only get to try the mouthpiece as long as you are in the shop and we all know how mouthpieces can sometimes feel great the first day and then pretty bad after that. I think as much as I regret saying it, you just have to take the time and be patient. Take every opportunity to try mouthpieces you get. Also, understand that there are always new mouthpieces being developed so it is always an ongoing process. A forum like this is wonderfully helpful in keeping the tuba/euphonium community in touch and abreast of current developments and trends.

I can never keep that french horn thing straight! ;-)

Follow Ups: