Re: WANTED a four-valve Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on December 12, 2000 at 21:00:27:

In Reply to: WANTED a four-valve Euphonium posted by Steve on December 12, 2000 at 20:44:41:

I hate to be the one to do this, but it'll happen sooner or later, and better I say it than one of the, uh, not so polite posters who buzz around this board from time to time. So here goes. New euphoniums run significantly more than $1000 (at least those that I am aware of). And as you may be able to tell by examining some of the prices for used brass instruments of various sorts, they don't depreciate a whole lot unless they have been run over by a large, heavy vehicle of some sort. For example, if you check out E-bay and look for used trombones, which go for about (depending on make, model, etc) for $1000-1500, you will be hard-pressed to find ANY of them selling for less than $500 in working condition. Now, if you are looking for a euphonium, it will cost more for a couple reasons. First, they cost more to begin with. Second, they are not as common as trombones, and so you won't have Joe Shmo digging a euphonium out of his attic to sell at a deep discount (original price has something to do with this too). In summary, looking for a $200 4-valve euph in working order is probably about the same as trying to snag a (decent, working) Ferrari for $10,000. Good luck to you, but don't keep your hopes up. And as I know that tone can be interpretted differently in the written word, I am simply trying to inform you of the situation in a friendly, non-abusive manner.

Once again, good luck to you in your musical endevours!

Erik

Follow Ups: