Re: Is there instrument bias?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl L on December 13, 2000 at 10:34:31:

In Reply to: Is there instrument bias? posted by MG on December 11, 2000 at 23:12:34:

It is the public's PERCEPTION of the instrument that causes bias, not just in competitiion, but across the board. Over the years I've been party to the various reactions to the instrument I'm playing and the ENVIRONMENT. For example, say I'm at a bluegrass gig with either my fiddle, banjo, or both. The fans are all bluegrass fans, and see both of these instruments as vital to the genre. There are numerous famous pros who constantly solo on these axes and intensify public fervor. Listen to Earl Scruggs play "Foggy mountain Breakdown". Watch Ricky Simpkins fiddle his "Dancing on the Fingerboard" These performers "sell' their instrument every time they pick it up. Their public is primed and ready to accept the product.
Now I'm at a break between dixieland sets. People are milling around, say, the cornetist or clarinetist. Pete Fountain and Armstrong come to mind. These fans equate the sound to the star. Granted, to us tubists, Bell, Phillips, Bobo, etc. are "stars". But do we have the body of work in front of the public to "turn them on" to our instrument? When you were a kid playing that tuba in school, who got all the recognition, trumpet or tuba?
This is a longwinded (no comments from the peanut gallery...) way of saying it's not so much the prowess of the player, as it is the perseption of the instrument and it's "contribution" to music, overall IN THE MINDS OF THE PUBLIC. When I've got my Gibson strapped on ,there's always a gaggle of people ready to talk about Reno, Monroe,etc. The tuba in hand illicits a grin and a sort of condescending chuckle, the "Here comes 'Tubby the Tuba' guy". For what it's worth, I commend those of us who play the tuba... because we love it. Most tubists will never get rich, be popular, get the attention of adoring fans. But we still pick it up and play because WE know what a wonderful instrument it is, regardless of fan perception.

Follow Ups: