Re: Re: Re: Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on December 14, 2000 at 00:33:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation posted by Richard on December 13, 2000 at 23:44:57:

I have issues with the CSO/Solti recordings. They are a parody of themselves, really created a culture of brass players that thought volume was the be-all-end-all of brass playing. I agree with the statement that the VPO can crank the volume. I have a recording of Bernstein doing Bruckner 9 that is astounding in it's EXTREMES of volumes. But, the volume issue works within the framework of the emotional quality of the music, not just volume for volumes sake. I do prefer my romantic German music on the loose side and have seen the Hindemith video. A very captivating performance indeed. I also believe Karajan's Bruckner 8 with the VPO(1988) to be one of the greatest achievements of western music along with the aforementioned Furtwangler/VPO recording from 1944. Balls to the wall FF's and searing PP's and music to boot. There are some ragged edges in both, but they are overshadowed by a sense of COMMITMENT to the music that is somewhat lacking in recent performances. Oddly enough, my favorite set of Tschaikovsky(next to Leningrad/Mvrinsky set, gotta love the PASSION there, from 1960) are the Karajan, BPO ones done in the 70's. They are the tautest, most together Tschaik's on disk. Go Figure. I often wonder if, as we evolve, if there will ever be a coupling of the driving intensity of American brass playing and the free flowing music of the Viennese. Now, that would be a true feast for the ears. Thanks for your insights!!!!

Follow Ups: