Re: Re: Re: Euphonium music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max on December 15, 2000 at 17:50:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Euphonium music posted by circusboy on December 15, 2000 at 17:09:21:

Yes, Two octaves down.

The info posted on this thread is generally true. There IS at least one exception to the statement that ALL bass clef music is written in concert pitch.

There are many French band publications and tuba solos that are written in Bb bass clef. That is, they are in bass clef, but written one step higher than they actually sound. You read a c as a Bb, etc. I've seen Mexican publications like that, too, and I seem to remember some very old (1860's to 1890's) American band publications with that type of part included. Some is intended for Bb Tuba (tenor tuba, equivilent to a euphonium) and some for BBb tuba. I'm not sure, but some trombone and euphonium parts may also be like this. Much of the time the SCORE is also in Bb!

Don't be confused by this. You may never see it, and the explainations given by the other posters are true for all practical purposes. I'll bet our orchastral tubaists HAVE seen it a number of times.

Max Tunnell

Follow Ups: