Re: Day in the Navy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on December 19, 2000 at 11:25:20:

In Reply to: Day in the Navy posted by S on December 18, 2000 at 18:34:44:

I'm assuming you're asking because you don't think you'd make the DC band. We were just awarded with tons of spots both in the Academy and the DC band. I would STRONGLY suggest auditioning for one of those. I know the Academy band has a tuba opening, the dc band has 2 trumpet, 2 clarinet, 1 percussion, 1 sax, and 1 horn opening. If you play one of these instruments, start practicing. We will have auditions soon and because most will be taking place next month, I don't think we will fill the positions. From my understanding, Jan is the hardest time to fill positions.

If you are a decent player, audition for the Air Force. After basic, you won't have to go to school and you will be permanently stationed. Try the Air Force band of the Rockies, they are pretty decent.

If you just the navy is super cool and just HAVE to be a sailor, you'll *perhaps* give a preliminary audition most likely on tape or in front of the recruiter. Since the navy is low on musicians, they will give you a spot with a sign-on bonus. (Most likely, check with your recruiter). You'll go to boot camp, then 'A' school for training, then after 18 months, be sent to your first station.

After you get to Hawaii (best possible senario), you'll check in and then you'll be the pee on for a few months or maybe even a year. You'll carry music in those little flip folders for the entire band, probably rehearse for an hour for every job. You will work weekends because Navy higher-ups and anyone else who wants to get the band like to party on the weekends. As well as the evenings. You'll probably put in about 30 hours during the week of work (not including travel time, waiting time.. ect). Your average day may consist of Morning Colors, a short parade and if you're in a smaller group--ie, brass quintet or trio, you may play at an officer's home for a dinner party. You'll probably also PT 4 times a week. Of course, it is fun because you'll get to pal around quite a bit while you are waiting and you will learn to sightread!

I'll post what a typical day for me is like later, because now, I need lunch. Take Care.
Farah

Follow Ups: