Re: Re: ability

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 19, 2000 at 12:27:39:

In Reply to: Re: ability posted by Mark F. on December 19, 2000 at 09:02:48:

I agree wholeheartedly.

That said, I still had to come up with a high Eb in the band arrangement of Carmina Burana when a senior in high school. All the good sound in the world would not hide that missed note if I missed it.

Reading Aubrey's post, I realize that I'm not a good high school player and never will be. (Sigh.) I think one has to make the distinction between a "good" high school player who wants to be able to make progress, play any of the high school repertoire put in front of him, and be thought a good player by the band director and others; and a really "good" tuba player who happens to be still in high school, who has professional aspirations and potential. The latter category is sparsely populated indeed, though perhaps Aubrey was one in it.

I was thought a good high school player, having nailed first divisions in solo contest (with now-easy stuff like Air and Bourree), having owned first chair in a well-regarded big-city high school (and played things like Carmina Burana), and having sat in the All-City Band. When I got to college, and auditioned for the volunteer symphonic band (no music school at Texas A&M), I got in--barely. The other three tuba players had been in All-State Band. They had been great high-school players. They were worlds ahead of me, but none of them had truly professional potential or desire (repeat: A&M had no music school).

So, the answer to your question is that high Eb isn't high enough.

Rick "who still can't play RVW or Gregson" Denney

Follow Ups: