Re: Oval Baritons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 19, 2000 at 23:41:50:

In Reply to: Oval Baritons posted by Kenny Jay on December 19, 2000 at 21:36:14:

My first guess is that if you are accustomed to the player-friendly YEP321, you will find most oval baritones to be wretched beasts.

Winston Morris uses the rotary/ovals for his Tuba Ensemble because they offer a little bit crisper timbre than big fat top-action "euphoniumish" instruments (according to what he has told me, and also from my aural observations). My experience with those oval things (with all due respect to the T.T.T.E. with its excellence and accomplishments) is that 4-valve American bell-front instruments (Conn,etc.) sound quite like oval baritones, but the American front-piston bell-front rigs generally have a better scale than rotary/ovals.

This sort of reminds me of all of the orchestral trumpet players running out and spending thousands of $$$$ on European rotary trumpets on which to play Beethoven and Brahms: big bell/small bore/funky intonation.... when they could simply buy old 1960's Conn Connstellation trumpets (big bell/small bore/funky intonation, but PISTONS).

Moreover, I think with the ovals, the thing is the "look".

Follow Ups: