Re: Conn 5J opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on December 20, 2000 at 09:22:24:

In Reply to: Conn 5J opinions? posted by Mike on December 20, 2000 at 08:19:03:

The 5J that my school owns is a fairly middle-of-the road instrument that plays a little stuffy in the lower octaves. I have the high school players use a little larger throat mouthpiece to help get some air into the instrument to help.

I do like the convenience of having the all of the valve slides in reach of the left hand. The tuning is fairly characteristic of a tuba, no weird or odd problems.

Mine was bought in three pieces. I had to put the leadpipe and bell/first branch back on to the valve section. It has held up well since then, but all assemblies are at the mercy of the technician. I do not think that this instrument was built faulty, just that the last owner took it apart for a repair class.

I like them for junior high and high school horns if you are needing a decent all-around instrument, and you are not going to be the only tuba in a 50 or more piece band.

Personally, the set-up on the instrument as far as leadpipe heigth is short for me. I moved the pipe up about 3/4 of an inch, and my students feel better on the instrument.

Tom

Follow Ups: