I want to donate an old beater to a bras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on December 20, 2000 at 16:31:18:

I have a pre-WWII East German BBb 4RV tuba which is not worth renovating. I have had two estimates which said more than $2000 just for the mechanical repairs, no guarantees on how it would play. I'd rather put that kind of money into a used BBb which I can play before I pay for it. So, I want to see if there is a brass repair school out there which could use this for learning. If you can send me your bonifides that you are such a school, I'll sell you the horn for $1 plus actual shipping.

Provenance: The horn was made in Markneukirchen, in the shop of August Richel, Jr. There is no serial number, but I know it was made pre-WWI, because adter the war, all of the Markneukirchen brass shops were folded into B&S. I bought it in East Berlin in 1961, hauled it home and had it rebuilt in 1962. I played it until 1971, then resurrected it in '87 and played it until a couple of years ago, when it became impossible.

Problems: Valves don't hold air, especially 1 & 2. Needs a new lead pipe. Top bow has a major dent with a 3-cornered tear in the metal on the top outside radius. Top strap is off, because I tried to repair the tear myself, with not complete success. Bell has a soldered patch on the rim and numerous crinkles which look like they are about through the metal. When I last played it, the bell would buzz/ring on the C in the staff. There are the usual dents you would expect from using a horn without a case for a number of years. The lacquer is just about gone.

Please don't try to buy this in the expectation that you might get a cheap horn with minimal repairs. This tuba is worn out. Since I would feel bad about suckering any fellow tubist into buying this horn to play, I have decided to try the 'donate to a brass repair school' avenue.

If interested, send email. I have about a dozen pics I can send.

Follow Ups: