Re: Study in Great Britian

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by charlie j on December 23, 2000 at 13:54:33:

In Reply to: Study in Great Britian posted by jon schultz on December 21, 2000 at 22:58:07:

Happy holidays!
I did this by virtue of being a Yank living with his parents (an English mother) in Sheringham, Norfolk. Although it was some years ago, I don't think things have really changed that much. I would say that music and the arts has a higher public profile and acceptance than here in the states.
The brass band scene is without question remarkable: both competitive and highly musical. My learning started in the Salvation Army on a beat up Eb. Throughout the years I played regionally (County bands) and nationally with the British Youth Wind Orchestra, when Paul Lawrence of the RPO was the Tuba instructor. Even got to play next to Leslie Condon once!
Our town of 3500 had a Salvation Army Senior Brass Band, Salvation Army Junior Brass Band, School Brass Band, and Town Brass Band. This was failr common even in small communities.
But it did not stop there, there were many offshoot bands with lots of opportunity to play strange and unique music. We had a hosepipe band for a while which rolled into a youth pop band called the Downtide 7. Others in town were known for performing with a bicycle pump played with the nose, and a lampshade with full illumination.
During the summer impromptu concerts were common were we swapped instruments and busked rag time and musical arrangements.
It was a wonderful experience and filled all my time. The musical opportunities were pretty much endless, and there seemed to be an eagerness to try the musically unusual. Here in the states we stick too much to the standards; both in performing methods and the pieces we perform with. (Thank goodness for Patrick Sheridian)
But, there is a reality side that must be considered by potential ex-pats. Wages are lower than here, taxes are higher, and buying power is much less. Depending where you live in the states, the English weather can be challenging, as can the crowds and associated queues wherever you go.
I get back reasonable frequently, and I would say without hesitation that it was an experience I always cherish. Lumping a Tuba around the public transportation system will keep you in shape too!
Brass banding has its roots in blue collar communities - it is down to earth, and without pretention. So get your beer drinking in practice, brush up on your humorist responses to Yank jokes and go for it - its great!
Good Luck!

Follow Ups: