Re: Re: Re: Problems with rotary valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 24, 2000 at 15:29:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Problems with rotary valves posted by Tracy Bedgood on December 23, 2000 at 23:52:18:

The rotors were moving around inside the cases..

Under the rotor caps, there are some "plates" that hold the rotor in place. If they're not firmly against the rotor, the rotor will have a little bit of room to move around inside the casing.. Not a lot a room, but as little as a fraction of a millimetre is enough to cause the noise that you're hearing. First make sure that your screws on the top of the rotor are as tight as possible, while not restricting the movement of the rotor.. then take off the caps on the rear side of whatever rotors are making the noise... you should be able to tell which rotors are "loose" fairly easily... there will be a slight gap between the top of the rotor, and the top of the rotor "cap". I don't know of any *official* way to close the gap... I did it by using the dull end of a screwdrive(the handle) against the rotor cap, and GENTLY tapping it down with a hammer. It solved my problem right away. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Maybe Matt Walters or someone else on the BBS can give you a more technical explination/instructions.

Best of luck to you! There's nothing more annoying than providing your own percussive accompaniment to Vocalise!

Anthony "thankgoodness my horns all have pistons now" Labelle

Follow Ups: