Re: Re: Re: German term

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 25, 2000 at 23:03:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: German term posted by Klaus on December 25, 2000 at 21:48:31:

Sorry to reenter longishly, but as I recall it the full title of the ouverture is : Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche.

Walking my dog through the frosty late night made me recall the complex of myths around Till Eulenspiegel. A must for German kids at least up to my generation. Living there I could not avoid learning of him, and loving him. As kids nowadays collect Pokemons, we collected pictures of Till and had them pasted into albums telling the stories (all part of a marketing scheme for margarine; we were poor back in Germany of the early 50-ties).

Till was a person challenging and questioning the normative rules of medieval Germany. Maybe impatient, certainly behaving like being without restrictions. As Strauss was, when he took the D major, 3rd horn, version of the Till theme down to low concert D, where screamer horns do not feel comfortable.

I do not remember, where the "ausgelassener" term is placed in the score, but should it mean "impatient" then the judging trombones certainly would need it, but they are anything but "lebhafter".

I have heard the ouverture several times, three of them remembered rather exactly, but I must admit, that I have no recalling of any remarkable tuba entries. (Glad that I am at a far distance of your flamethrowers).

Klaus

Follow Ups: